Spring into News

Jordyn Daniels, Reporter

The yearbook and news staffs attended the Oklahoma Scholastic Media Spring Monday Conference and Contest on Apr. 30.

The 102nd annual conference, held at the University of Oklahoma Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication, had the theme, “The Time, Indeed, is NOW.”

The day was full of classes and presentations as well as presenters from the University of Central Oklahoma, Gaylord College, The Oklahoma Daily and Herff Jones Yearbook.

The classes provided helpful tips such as Basic Reporting Skills for the 21st century, Making the Most of Graphic Design’s Swiss Army Knife, Diversity in Media, Pro Tips for Uncovering the Truth Online and much more.

Not only was the day a learning experience, it also was a time for recognition for the year’s previous works.

Awards received at Spring Media Monday:

Senior Mitchell Stroud- 2nd place for Division III Online News Story and honorable mention twice in Divisions II and III for Online Feature Story.

“It was interesting to learn about bigger news staffs and how they run their operations. I didn’t expect to win anything,” Stroud said.

Junior Jordyn Daniels- 3rd for Online News Story.

Junior Dylan DelCol received honorable mention for his Online News Story and third place in Divisions II and III Online Feature Story.

The news staff combined received second in online multimedia package and an overall rating of Awards of Honor.

HCP alumnus William Cornelius was also in attendance and taught two sessions about the student-run digital media initiative at the Gaylord college, [UNFILTERED], which is a community journalism project.