Carlos Flores floors the field with college offers

Mitchell Stroud, Reporter

Senior and valedictorian Carlos Flores accepted the AnBryce Scholars Initiative scholarship to Notre Dame last week. Flores has been accepted to Princeton, Duke, Colorado School of Minds and Baylor University. He also received a full ride to Duke.

The AnBryce scholarship covers the entire published cost of attendance, fees, room and board, estimated book costs, transportation and personal expenses. In addition to these great benefits, AnBryce Scholars get the experience of studying abroad during their time at Notre Dame. Throughout their time at Notre Dame they will be able to connect with the AnBryce family and professionals in their field of study. AnBryce scholars are among the top 1-2% of students in the nation and have “intellectual promise, creativity, leadership and sense of service to others.”

Flores chose Notre Dame because of the level of financial support he was given that was unmatched in his other offers. Flores has garnered quite the accolades in his four years at Harding. He has maintained the highest GPA in the class of 2018, received Eagle of the Month in September, been a member of the Harding chapter of the National Honor Society since sophomore year, has been heavily involved in student council since freshman year and logged over 140 volunteer hours in the summer of the his senior year alone.

Flores logged these hours over six days at Camp New Day. Camp New Day is a camp for children eight through 12 with incarcerated parents. The camp provides all of the meals, toiletries and housing for the week-long camp.

“The most satisfying part of the work was seeing the kids who had been without parents open up to someone (me) as if I was a father figure,” Flores said.

He is not solely an intellectual, either. Flores has been on the baseball team since freshman year and has been essential to their victories this year.

With his variety of activities, both school and extracurricular, he offered some encouragement to younger students,

“Don’t get discouraged, keep it going,” Flores said.

Flores also said that Harding was essential in his success.

“They have helped me maintain study skills and be prepared for what is to come next.”