Saving lives with the HCP blood drive

Camila Gonzalez, Reporter

Harding Charter Prep is hosting a blood drive on Thursday, April 16. Workers from the Oklahoma Blood Institute will be taking donations in the gym all day. Any students 16 years of age or older and weighing 125 pounds or more can donate. See Elizabeth Boomer in room 303 for a permission form.

Donating saves the lives of sick people. Leslie Gamble, Director of Community Relations at OBI, wants students to know that “it doesn’t cost any money, just a little bit of time and bravery.  It’s a great way to step up in a life-saving community service.” The blood donated will go to help hospitalized people of all kinds, and volunteers are constantly needed.

“Blood has a limited time for use, so it can’t be stockpiled. There is a shortage when enough people in our community don’t take time to give or realize the impact it has for those battling life-threatening illnesses,” Gamble added.

One reason students may be skeptical to donate is because they have never donated blood. Any students who would like to should know some basic tips. Drink plenty of water on the day of and the day before donating. Eat a good meal and get lots of sleep the night before. Eat steak or spinach or take a vitamin to keep iron levels high. People who donate will answer questions and have a health screening before moving to the donation recliner. Typically, the needle is in the arm for about 15 to 20 minutes. Then, they will have drinks, snacks, and get a T-shirt.”

Students who donate will learn their blood type if they do not already know. Though all types are needed, those who have negative blood types are strongly encouraged to donate, especially if they have O-negative blood. It is very important that the blood matches the type of the patient who needs it.

“Doctors need blood that is compatible with their patients’ needs to help them have a chance of survival,” Gamble said.

Even if you cannot or do not want to donate, you can spread the word throughout the student body. Gamble said, “The reason most people don’t donate is because no one has asked them!” By simply giving a little of your time and a little of your blood, you can save a life.