Players shatter basketball records

Anselm and George receive awards for reaching 1,000 career points.

Isis Frazier

Isis Frazier, Reporter

Two varsity basketball players were recognized for breaking outstanding goals during this year’s season.

Senior Anselm Uzuegbunem stands tall at 6’7 as a forward on the varsity basketball team. During first semester, he reached 1,000 points. As the season went on, he earned the all-time scoring record, breaking the record of 2010 alumnus, Denzel Goudeau.

Uzuegbunem’s averages 19 points, 3 blocks, and 10.2 rebounds, along with 1.2 assists and 1.7 steals per game.

Junior George Price starts as point guard on the varsity team.

During a game against Ponca City, Price broke a record of most points per game with a high 51 points. Along with this, he has broken records for the most steals and assists per game as well.

Price currently averages 5 steals, 7 assists and 22 points per game.

He admits that he used to count how many points he earned during the games, but he has stopped.

At least two times a day, Price tries to get into the gym to shoot.

“Improving my points is really just me being aggressive in the game,” Price said.

Uzuegbunem notes that George helps him both on and off the court.

“We are always in the gym together and we work out together. He helps me a lot,” Uzuegbunem said.

Price and Uzuegbunem have a tight competition of who will break the all-time scoring record.

“We’re competitive. We know our stats and we know we are neck and neck.” Uzuegbunem said.

“We just play, but we do have a little competition going on, but it’s just fun. We never go against each other or anything,” Price said. “I’m nine points behind, but I’m not really focused on that. I’m focused on getting this state ‘ship.”

Winning the state championship is both Uzuegbunem and Price’s goals. Outside from that, both are starting to look forward to college.

As of right now, Price has 4 Division I offers from colleges all over the country. He currently has three in-state offers to OBU, UCO and Langston. The Division I offers include Santa Clara University, Delaware State, University of Evansville and South Dakota University.

Uzuegbunem has several Division I offers and one official offer from Delaware State along with three Division II offers to Daemen College, Southwestern Oklahoma State University, and Panhandle State.

“College basketball is more of a job because you’re always trying to keep up with each other,” Uzuegbunem said. “But it makes it feel like it’s another chapter in my life.”