The Marionette

Fires still raging through California; dozens dead, hundreds missing

Gregory Richardson, Reporter

For over two weeks , two wildfires have been blazing across California, leaving dozens dead, hundreds still unaccounted for and countless buildings destroyed, according to ABC News.

The two major fires currently burning are the Woolsey and Camp fires. With 84 dead and counting, the Camp Fire is the fourth deadliest natural disaster in California’s history, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

The Woolsey Fire in Southern California has claimed an additional three lives, bringing the combined total to 87 deaths.

Between the two fires spanning Butte, Ventura and Los Angeles counties, the number of people still unaccounted for is hovering around a thousand, according to the same source.

On Saturday, President Trump visited Paradise, a town devastated by the Camp Fire. Trump blamed the California residents for the damage tweeting, “so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests.”

In an interview with The New York Times, Trump said “I don’t think we’ll have this again to this extent. Hopefully this is going to be the last of these [fires] because this was a really, really bad one.”

The Camp Fire was finally 100% contained two days ago, after a strong winter storm dropped about seven inches of rain, according to USA Today.

Gregory Richardson, Reporter

I was born October 13th in grand rapids Michigan, I have three older sisters and one younger brother. I lived in Holland until I was about seven years...