Music programs represent at state solo, ensemble contest

Top left to bottom right: Jordan McFadden, Gabrielle Jones, Khiem Ngo, Nathan Carr, Victor Nguyen, Deepika Sitaraman, Jackson Burnette, Chase Leach, Wendy Liu, Greg Thompson, Ariani Fife, Violet Parrott, Shafa Banvani, Lilia Herrera and Fatima Jaime.

Jordyn Daniels, Reporter

Congratulations are due for the following students that competed at State/Solo Ensemble contest Apr. 18 and 19.

The choir, under the direction of De’Ericka Givings, sent four girls to the state vocal music State solo contest at Oklahoma Baptist University. Karen Aleman and Ashlyn Greenwood received excellent ratings on their solos, and Simone Pico and Anna Martin received superior ratings for their performances.

“This was my first time going to State and it was really exciting. I hope to use the feedback that I revived from the judges to get a Superior rating next year,” Greenwood said.

Band and orchestra director Kelli Taylor took 16 students to Oklahoma State University for the solo/ensemble contest.

Jackson Burnette, Deepika Sitaraman, Victor Nguyen and Greg Thompson received superior rating for their solos.

Excellent ratings went to Nathan Carr for his solo, as well as Shafa Banvani, Violet Parrott and Lilia Herrera for their clarinet trio.

“I was nervous because we played in a glass room, everyone could see us but I was proud we were able to go to state and received a two,” said Parrott. “We split the certificate three ways so we could all have a piece of it,” she added.

Students that also received excellent ratings were Nguyen, Thompson, Chase Leach and Ariani Fife for their violin quartet, as well as Khiem Ngo and Gabby Jones for their violin duet.

Fatima Jaime performed her horn solo for the first time at state contest. Gabby, Khiem, Wendy Liu and Jordan McFadden received a good rating on their violin quartet.