Band gets special instruction at local university

Mitchell Stroud, Reporter

The HCP band received a unique opportunity to go to the UCO’s concert band festival and the UCO Wind Symphony’s spring concert, Musical Sojourns. Wind symphonies consists of the best one or two players of each family of instruments, woodwind, percussion and brass. These players are some of the most experienced in Oklahoma, that being said, it was a learning experience for all of the band members. In addition to the concert, the band performed for clinicians that gave them information on how to improve their skills. They also sat in on master classes.

“They are big group private lessons, the teacher works one on one with a player but everyone is watching,” said band director Kelli Taylor.

These master classes were ran by UCO faculty members Dr. Emily Butterfield, and Brian Gorrell.

Freshman Fernando Rojas, a saxophonist for the band, said the master classes were his favorite part.

“It was fun, I learned a lot. We learned harmonics and arpeggios and actually got to play them,” Rojas said.

Junior Cody Cummins enjoyed the opportunity to meet new people.

“It was fun playing with other flutes. Especially since I’m the only flute player here,” she said.

The band was able to go on this trip thanks to Taylor’s networking. Due to a scheduling conflict, a band that was planning on attending was unable to, so the offer was extended to Taylor.

“Usually these things cost around $400 and we don’t have that money in the budget,” Taylor said.

Some other schools that were at the festival were Deer Creek, Edmond Memorial, Skiatook and Harding Fine Arts. Coordinator, Dr. Brian Lamb, described the festival as, “no rating, no rankings, no scores, just music.”

Follow this link for more information about UCO’s band program.