October Awesome Eagles

The October 2017 Awesome Eagles with principal Dr. Mylo Miller: Gage Catteeuw, Jesslyn Chain, Monica Money and Lydia Sharpe.

Kelli Taylor

Dylan DelCol, Reporter

Each month, Harding celebrates four of its most upstanding students by granting to them the monthly title of “awesome eagle.” The students are nominated by a teacher or other staff member to whom the nominee has shown particular generosity or selflessness. The recipients this October were: Lydia Sharpe, senior; Monica Money, junior; Jesslyn Chain, sophomore and Gage Catteeuw, freshman.

From the senior class, Lydia Sharpe was nominated for the award by Leslie Piccolo, the health and anatomy teacher, for her tutoring work with freshmen and sophomores.

After hearing that Piccolo’s daughter could benefit from some help in English, Sharpe volunteered her services.

“Tilly [Booze] kind of branched me out,” Sharpe said, getting her more involved in assisting the 9th graders with Elizabeth Boomer’s English class.

“I just kinda started helping,” Sharpe said. “I’d run into them [in the halls] and I’d be like, ‘hey how are you doing? Are you okay? Do you have any questions?’”

Sharpe was surprised by the nomination and award.

“The Awesome Eagles award shows that you’re a well-rounded individual who stood out because you were just doing acts that were selfless,” Sharpe said. “We’re proving that we’re becoming what adults should be.”