Introducing Clark Ellis

Pre-AP Conceptual Physics teacher, Clark Ellis assists a student during class.

Isis Frazier

Isis Frazier, Reporter

The Marionette would like to introduce Clark Ellis as the new Pre-AP Conceptual Physics teacher for the incoming freshmen.

Ellis graduated from Oklahoma State University in 2012 and has now been teaching for five years. He has taught at Edmond North High School and Booker T. Washington in his hometown, Tulsa.

Ellis did enjoy his time at OSU, but he also believes students should pick their school based on what they want to do.

“I definitely would recommend it just for my experience, but really the main thing is students need to know what they’re looking for and what is going to be the best fit for them. I do think that college can be a beneficial thing for every student, but it really just depends on what they want,” Ellis said.

Ellis notes teaching at Harding as being different compared to his past schools.

“I like it a lot so far,” said Ellis. “Physics is normally at most schools for upperclassmen pretty much exclusively. I really like having freshman. They’re by and large very good kids. It definitely changes the class dynamic a little bit, but it’s been really nice. The class sizes are smaller. I feel like I get to know my students better. It’s been a really good change.”

Inspired by a motivating teacher, Ellis developed his passion for physics.

“I had a physics teacher in high school that was kind of mean, but super smart, but was also the first teacher I think to sort of push me out of my comfort zone. So it was how I got started into physics. She really challenged me and didn’t accept anything less than my best,” Ellis said. “I also liked the fact that I got to just poke things and do science in the sense of push a button and see what happens. There wasn’t supposed to be a scripted answer. So, I think that’s really sort of where my passion for physics sort of developed. I’ve always been a curious person.”

Along with other passions, Ellis is passionate about teaching.

“I enjoy trying to help the students be as successful as they can, not just in the class, but sort of in life. I really enjoy physics. I personally love physics. I love lasering things, I love getting to throw things. It makes for a really good day,” Ellis said. “But really, just trying to help students be the best people they can be and be as successful as possible even if they choose not to do physics. I think that’s really where my passion is.”

Ellis is a Chicago Cubs fan and enjoys watching their games. He also enjoys playing pickup baseball with some friends on the weekends. He also enjoys travelling with his wife during the summer where they can take a month off and go somewhere.