Administration introduces uniform policy changes

Lily Waswo, Reporter

Harding Charter Prep is known for their high academic standards. One of the things the administration associates with these standards is minimal distractions with a professional dress code.

“The purpose of the dress code is that it prepares students for college by providing as few distractions as possible,” said principal Dr. Mylo Miller said.

Assistant principal Steven Stefanick explained that the uniforms provide guidelines for professionalism.

“(Professionalism) is just expected in the business world,” he said.

Drama teacher Michael Ferguson agreed that the dress code instills a sense of professionalism among students.

“A lot of businesses that require you to have a college degree, which is our goal here at Harding Charter Prep, have a dress code,” Ferguson said.

There have been several changes in this year’s dress code, due in part to maintaining this type of environment.

Senior James Wood had a different take on these changes.

“The school needs to be either full throttle or hitting the brakes,” Wood said. “The uniform needs to be stricter by specifying what exact clothing a person can and cannot wear, or completely drop the uniform all together. It has become more of an issue rather than helping our education. To take a girl out of class because her skirt is too short is in no way helping her learn.”

Ferguson supports the new policies, specifically those referring to belt enforcement.

“It makes it easier for teachers now; just remind the student, once they get the ribbon belt from the office, then other teachers can know it’s been addressed,” he said.

Another change to the policy is that the sports and clubs jackets can only be worn on Fridays.

Miller explained these reasons for these changes.

“It’s to respect the seniors. We want everyone to know they made it all this way. They deserve to be distinguished. We tried to be fair and give students a day, at least, where people could represent their sport or club,” Miller said. “The purpose was [also] to continue uniformity throughout most of the week. Jacket season was just this long period of time where everybody looked so different. It defeated the whole purpose of the uniform,” he added.

Stefanick elaborated on this statement.

“Looking different is not a negative thing, but it goes away from the purpose of a uniform,” Stefanick said.

Ferguson agreed with this statement.

“I understand that for some students…they get to represent their club or sport throughout the week, but I also understand the administration side of it. It made the school look less uniform,” Ferguson said.

Wood disagreed.

“The sport’s spirit needs all the boost it can get. By seeing all the students who are in a sport everyday shows that Harding is extremely well-rounded. Limiting that expression to only one day seems to be hindering that. Sports jackets should be a symbol of school pride and worn to show a student can have a good education and be athletic,” Wood said.

To see the full dress code, refer to the student handbook on page 25.