Voicing Sexual assault

Dylan DelCol, Reporter

“Every 98 seconds, an American is sexually assaulted. ” This is according to the organization RAINN (Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network), which operates the largest anti-sexual assault program and database in the United States. The statistics come directly from the Bureau of Justice’s crime statistics database. But back to the point – think about that number for just a moment. No need to grab a calculator, I’ve already run the numbers. That number equates to nearly 900 victims of sexual assault every single day (881). This means that there are over 300,000 victims each year (321,565). Sexual assault is a terrible crime that can often leave permanent scars and isolate and shame its victims. One such victim of sexual assault was willing to speak out about their personal story of sexual violence. Here is what they had to say:

“My first year at the school, another student came up to me and asked to borrow my phone to call his brother. I agreed, and gave it to him and began to finish packing my bag to go home. When I turned around, he was gone.

“I finished packing and locked my locker and walked around the corner and found him. He then began to run and I chased after him. I said ‘I need my phone back so that I won’t get in trouble and so I can go home.’ He ignored me and continued running.

“He led me to the stairs right next to the student store. I told him “give me my phone back.” He put my phone in his pocket and then grabbed my arms. I tried to get away from his grip by sitting down but it didn’t work and he ended up pinning me down. With a hold on my arms he began to shove his hand down my shirt and down my pants.

“I couldn’t scream because no one was around for me to scream to. It was only me and him. I did my best to fight him, but it was hard because I was pinned down. Eventually he stopped and gave me my phone back and I ran.

“He began to text me apologizing to me saying he shouldn’t have done that, but there was no going back from that. I never talked to him again and I was ashamed of myself for it. I kept wondering what I did for him to do that to me.

“I hid it for a year from everyone and then I came out and told my mom. Now I am no longer scared to share my story.”

This is part of an ongoing series about sexual assault

To learn more about sexual harassment, assault, and Oklahoma state law regarding the two, click here.

A toll free helpline for victims of sexual assault and rape can be contacted at 1-800-656-4673.

To seek help at school, counselors Shyanne Gatrost (9th and 10th grade) and Kate Ferguson (11th and 12th grade) are available in the counseling office from 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM during business days.