Pay cuts for Oklahoma teachers affect HCP

Kaitlyn Smith, Reporter

Stress and worry fill the students and faculty at HCP as the amount of teacher shortages increase. The EOI tests are approaching and students are facing the problem of not maintaining a long lasting teacher. At HCP in particular, it is well known among the student body that the science department has definitely had its flaws with long term teachers. The reason for this may be a lack of dedication. However, the decrease of teacher pay in Oklahoma may also have a bigger impact on the amount of teachers staying in Oklahoma.

According to Oklahoma Watch, the average teacher pay in Oklahoma has fluctuated, with the lowest being about $39,060 between the years 1979-1980 and the highest being about $50,907 in 2009-2010. In the 2012-2013 school year, the teacher pay dropped to about $44,128; nearly reaching those recorded in 1979-1980. The teacher pay in Oklahoma- compared to those nationally- shows a greater decrease and it is evidence that Oklahoma payment for teachers is decreasing more and more each year as the national pay gradually increases. Also, according to Tulsa World, since July, Oklahoma has received 526 requests for emergency teaching certifications, exceeding the 506 it received in 2014 and 2015. The emergency teaching certificates allow those who haven’t completed basic higher education and training to enter the classroom right away. As the amount of teachers decrease, so do the requirements for hiring a “quick replacement.”

HCP’s junior class experienced the stresses and horrors of not having a fully qualified teacher last year. At the beginning of the 2014 school year, part of the class was subjected to taking Pre-AP Chemistry without an instructor. The class was being taught by different substitutes, until one decided to stay for the rest of the 2nd semester, giving the students a little continuity.

“Not having a solid teacher and having to basically teach myself was one of the most stressful things I had to experience last year,” said junior Shaliyah Mims.

Despite the little knowledge that the students gained, they are still set up for possible failure in the future due to HCP’s requirements of taking an AP science class their senior year. Not only are the students affected, but instructors are as well due to the stresses that come along with having to re-teach material students should have already learned.

In addition, Pre-AP Biology and AP Environmental Science teacher Dr. Kevin Shufran departed from the school staff at the end of the first semester of this school year, leaving the junior class at a disadvantage with the Biology EOI coming up this spring. As a replacement, Principal Dr. Mylo Miller hired Gabrielle Fowler from Kentucky.

“We want to provide the best teachers for our students,” Dr. Miller said.

With the budget cuts and shortage of teachers in Oklahoma, Dr. Miller had to reach out to other states in search of a qualified teacher. There are pros and cons that come along with hiring from another state. It benefits the school by providing a teacher, but it takes dedication and sometimes even requires the teacher to leave their family behind.

Fowler described her experience as an opportunity to get out in the world and accomplish the dreams she has had since she was a child.

“It may have taken a lot of sacrifice, but I know this is what I want to do,” she said.

Even though Oklahoma school budgets are being drastically cut, Fowler stays optimistic and gets her job done. The students feel more prepared and knowledgeable for the upcoming End of Instruction tests.

“Having to teach myself through the book was very stressful and I wasn’t really sure that I knew what exactly it was that I was reading, but now that we have a more permanent and dedicated teacher, I feel way more prepared,” Mims said.