The student news site of Harding Charter Preparatory High School

The Marionette

The Marionette

The Marionette

Polls

Do you prefer winter or summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Much anticipated new phone is unveiled

The newest generation of Apple’s iPhone was unveiled on September 12. In the opening weekend alone, over 5 million iPhones were purchased, according to the Huffington Post.

Updates with the newest iPhone include a larger four inch screen, which allows for a fifth row of icons on the home screen. It also has metal back, a change from the glass back on the iPhone 4 and 4S. The new phone has also replaced the A5 chip of the previous phones with an A6 chip that loads pages up to two times faster.

The new phone will come with the updated apple’s updated operating system iOS 6. Changes in the updated operating system include an all new Apple map app to replace the Google map app, Facebook integration, and upgrades to Siri. The phone will also debut with a new much smaller connector called “lightning.” The new earphones, Earpods, which were in development for three years will also come with the new iPhone.

According to BBC news, users are already frustrated with the new navigation app. Problems include misplaced towns and cities and missing schools, businesses and other locations. Motorola has tried to capitalize on this problem, releasing an ad campaign called “ilost,” on Twitter.

Along with the new phone there will also be updates to the iPhone care plan, AppleCare+. The new updates include damage from the phone being dropped and water damage.

The new iPhone also broke new records, selling two million phones within the first 24 hours, causing a shortage. The shortage has pushed back the delivery of new iPhones to three to four weeks.

Photography teacher Elizabeth Silver has already preordered the new phone.

“I am super excited, it’s beautiful. [I’m most excited] about the camera. I still have a 3GS so it has a three megapixel camera and I am upgrading to an eight megapixel camera with a crystal sapphire lens and panorama,” Silver said.

Despite the large amount of preordering, Silver’s delivery was not pushed back.

“My only concern though with buying it so early is not having a case. They [Apple] release products with no protection. It scares me,” Silver said.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Marionette
$585
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Harding Charter Preparatory High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.